Wednesday 7 December 2011

Revolution Takes Place -Sequel to R2020 .Chapter-1 Sneak Peak.


 Chapter- 1
                                                                SHUKLA’S HONEST BAIL
                                                               
I was in office going through E-mails & the taskbar of my PC showed 2.30 PM.

The window adjacent to my teak wood table was open & green colored curtains were blowing with the strong wind. The unusually cold breeze was causing disturbance & had made the room quite chilly. As, I pushed by chair to get up & shut the window, entered my assistant Arjun with airy Good afternoon wish addressed to me. “Good Afternoon Sirr”

Arjun in black kurta & blue jeans with half sleeves Off-white jacket carried a thick bunch of papers. On entering the room, he faced strong winds blowing. Even without my saying, he went on to shut the window after putting the thick bunch of papers on my already occupied table.

Arjun Agnihotri, apart from being my assistant for running Ganga Tech, was also an important person for shukla-ji’s Party who looked after the campaigns & rallies. He had a robust built with nearly six feet height & wore white color thick spectacles to give himself a dedicated worker & manager look.

Both I & Shukla- Ji admired him for his sincere working & suave behavior. He was also famous among the college students for friendly attitude. We both had strong faith in him & had confided our most of the trade & non-trade secrets.

Arjun neatly took over after Mr.Bedi did not continue his association with Shukla-Ji or Ganga Tech fearing his doom for being involved with suspicious activities of Ganga Tech & other business ventures of Shukla-Ji. He had access to all financial matters & decisions of Ganga Tech & also looked after the accounts of the College. He most of the time shared my room for any work related to college.


                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           “Uhhh, all of a sudden the weather has turned so wild”  trembling Arjun said as he closed the window.

“Hmm.”  I replied with strange while had my eyes on the computer screen.

“How do manage in this cold weather, Sirrr” Arjun questioned while composing himself on to the dark brown Sofa kept opposite to my table.

“Hmm. Scotch keeps me going. You Want to have it?” I replied.

“No, thank you Sir, I will manage with ginger-flavored tea” Arjun said, now shivering less.

“But Scotch is a Scotch.” I replied pointing to the glass I had in my hand.

Arjun stayed mum. He clearly knew, there is no point arguing with a Scotch addicted person like me who preferred drinking even during day time.

“Anyways, what are these documents?” I changed the topic.

“These are some documents in connection with Shukla-ji’s case, Vakil Sahib asked to have them photocopied.” Came Arjun’s reply & took the documents again to do the page numbering.

“Ok, we are fixed for today’s meeting na ? I asked in a confirmatory manner.
“Hmm” Arjun said with his head down & mechanically started to number the pages.
               
“Ok” I said & got back to my emails.

Arjun took a pause in between & asked me to call Ram Dilavar, our Office peon to take the custody of documents for photocopy. After replying two mails, I called Ram Dilaver & also asked for a ginger flavoured Tea for Arjun who for the last 5 minutes religiously did the page numbering work.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 10 minutes, about 5 feet tall chubby Ram Dilavar entered wearing usual Ganga Tech grey colored uniform with tray containing the called for tea & biscuits. Though the tea was covered, aroma of the ginger could be felt.  Ram Dilaver kept the tray on center table & without knowing for whom the tea was ordered, offered to me.

 I signaled towards Arjun & said “Give to accountant sahib”   Arjun looked up on hearing the familiar word with murmuring “197, 198, 199,… huh!” 

“Yess,” said Arjun with a sigh of displeasure. Normal person would give the same reaction after numbering 199 pages.

“Have your tea, & come out of Shukla-ji’s documents” I said stimulating him.

“Aah, badly needed it, thank you Sir, but let me first hand over these papers” replied Arjun.

Ram Dilaver responded to all this by covering the tea & keeping it on the table towards Arjun’s side & said, “Yes, sir, give the necessary documents”

“See, these are some pages in connection with Shukla-ji’s Case. You have to get them photo…”

Before Arjun could explain further, ever blabbering Ram Dilaver intervened with a freak smile on his moustache donned face,  “Arrey, Sirr, why getting so much documents photocopied, last time, also you gave about 400 pages for photocopy but nothing happened, better you go with money, money works”

Arjun & I shared stares & laughed off Ram Dilaver’s advice.

“Thank you, Ram Dilaver, but at the moment, can you please take these documents & just go.
I have this wonderful tea waiting for me.”  Arjun replied in a mocking manner, while Ram Dilaver continued to smile.

Arjun continued further. “Ok, so you have to get these documents photocopied from both sides. Do ensure the documents are photocopied & are legible. Once all the documents are photocopied, count them, they are 199 in total.”

“Sir, these are about 200 pages, it would take about 2 hours, plus this weather outside.  By what time you need these documents?”  Said Ram Dilaver in a quizzical manner.

“Hmmm, Meeting is fixed at Vakil Sahib’s Office at 6 evening; I think by that time it should be done” Arjun answered.

“Ok. So, I will make sure; the documents are ready by 5” replied Ram Dilaver with good amount of confidence in his voice.

“Yeah good, put these papers in some polythene” Arjun said as he carefully handed over the documents to Ram Dilaver.

Ram Dilaver took a brief look over the documents & then with a firm hold, made the exit after extending courteous greetings to me & Arjun.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


While Arjun was having his ginger flavored tea, my Phone rang up with Advocate Khatri Flashing on the screen.

“Hello, Gopal Ji.” Said Mr.Khatri, Advocate engaged for Shukla-ji’s Bail

“Hello, Vakil Sahab, We will reach by 6 at your office” I replied & Arjun sipping the tea gave positive nods to me.

“Actually, I have called to inform, today’s meeting won’t be possible, as I am leaving for Kolkata for some urgent matter “Said Mr.Khatri in a hesitant but authoritative manner.

“Vakil Sahab, don’t you know, you are engaged for Shukla-ji’s Case” I replied in a bit annoying manner.

“I Know, It is a high profile case…..” Consoling Mr.Khatri replied.
“& involves high profile people & lots of money”  I Shot back with putting emphasis on the last three words.

Mr.Khatri stayed mum, he had nothing more to offer. “Anyways, when you are due for return” I initiated again.

“Well, in a weeks’ time” reply came in a low voice

“What??, a Weeks’s time. !!” I replied in an awkward loud voice which distracted Arjun from his mobile phone.

“Yeah ..I mean.., I tried ..but..before that it won’t be possible for me to return” Said Mr.Khatri almost implying as if he was going to Kolkata for his re-marriage.

“Aren’t you aware that, we have Court’s Hearing for Bail in 10 days, out of which seven days you are going to consume there at Kolkata leaving us with only 3 days to prepare. Shukla-ji’s have already been in Jail for Last one and half year, and when finally a High Court has given us a chance, our own advocate is not co-operating with us” I Replied in most intense manner with laying enough emphasis on last line.

“Okay, chill Out, I’ll see, what best can be done. I’ll ask my junior Neha Talwar to look after the case in my absence. You send the necessary documents to my office in her reference.” Said Mr.Khatri & we finished the call.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arjun was witness to my frustration & annoyance. He got up leaving tea in between & offered a glass of water to soothe me. I took it & then asked for one more glass. After two glasses of water, I got relaxed.

Five minutes later Arjun had finished his tea. With his mouth half full of biscuit, he tried to compose me,

“Sir, you should not take that much tension, Shukla-Ji will sure get out of all this”

“Yes, definitely with fucking advocates like Khatri. ” I replied.

“Sir, why can’t just bribe the High Court Judge?” Responded Arjun, showing his deep interest

“I discussed it with Shukla-Ji, but he refused. He says he doesn’t want to take any chances & wants to get out of it on merit”

“What?? On Merit,” Arjun Laughed being surprised.

“Yes, merit, he is in mood to drag CM sahib into it” I replied.

“& what you do think sir, Will it Work for him?” Arjun replied.

“Well, at least the overall charge of corruption would be shared then, CM also would get involved. All depends on statement he gives at Allahabad High Court after 10 days” I quoted what advocate Khatri told.

“But, are there any chances of him coming out at least on a bail?” asked the curious Arjun

“Yes, Advocate Khatri told ,once the corruption charge on Shukla-Ji gets reduced, the sentence to be served by him if proven guilty accordingly reduces , so in that case, there lies a strong chance of his Bail. He has already been in Jail for year & half, court will consider it & compare with the overall sentence which he would require to serve, in case proven guilty & accordingly decide for Bail”  I explained Like explaining any physics topic.

Arjun, Listened like any other good student, & replied, “Let’s see, Will honesty work for corrupt person like Shukla-Ji” 

I casually nodded expressing my disinterest to further talk about it. We then discussed about upcoming College Festival & talked for forty odd minutes, before Arjun’s phone rang up and left for some work.

I also finished my email work & left for my routine College Stroll after 20 minutes of Arjun’s exit.
 ===================================================================

1 comment:

  1. Sorry boss...I feel that this teaser is too short for a review,..Other than a few typos..there is nothing eye catching...I felt that the story did not move anywhere..again this is just a teaser..So..Upload the full chapter or a couple of more chapters...All the best..

    ReplyDelete